Friday, June 01, 2007

Hiatus


Someone once said that; "Podcasting is a thankless fucking hobby with zero rewards." There have been times when I would tend to agree with that person. But there have also been times when it's been so much fun, such a joyful distraction that I didn't find it 'Thankless' with 'Zero rewards'.

I would say that you only get what you put into it, the work that you put into your show is what you hear when you play it back. When you upload that show that you've just finished editing and you stream it off of your site or listen to it or download it from iTunes, That's the rewarding part. Listening back to the show and you hear the fun you had while recording it. It's now been immortalized, it is forever. You've just left something that might not be memorable to other people but it's there, a sonic scrapbook for you to relive years later. The zombies, the drops, the clips, the news, the dvd's, the memories. It's all there. The time my home flooded is there in the show, the time i had a blow out on the freeway, those happy times after we'd just come home from a new movie. Re-living events of those fun Saturdays with 3 of my favorite people. That's is what it has been about.

Stephen, Bill and Vanessa have all brought something unique to the show, a unique kind of experience that sometimes is amplified upon playback. Mulberry is always best with the four of us together, all of us on our game.

Some of my favorite bits have been during the news and dvd's. That's the part of the show where I don't have to talk anymore and can just listen and I love it. Foggy's drops always make me laugh or offend me, that guy is quite a talent and enigma unto himself.

The people that enjoy that show that send us voicemails become characters on the show, they are accepted into loving welcoming arms, with us ready to devour them much like those weird dudes in beastmaster when they consume your flesh and there is nothing left but bones. But what a Tasty meal that was!

Those big shows are always the most fun, be it Zombies in a mall or in Bill's Historical Library or on a Time Travelling Train, our best of shows are always so much fun and always a big pain to edit but always worth it upon playback.

The part I always crave is to know what 'they' thought. What did our listeners think? Did they enjoy this crazy show? But alas I will never know for they do not let me know...

...sigh.

Podcasting is a thankless hobby with zero fucking rewards, indeed.

No comments: